Terms & conditions
These terms & conditions of service are intended to set out, simply and clearly, the key points of the working relationship between me and my clients. They are adapted from guidance provided by the Society for Editors and Proofreaders for members’ use.
If you are a student, please also see Services for students for additional information.
- The terms ‘I’ or ‘me’ refer to Frances Cooper, the freelance.
- The term ‘you’ refers to the client, whether an individual, company or authorised person engaging the services of a freelance.
- These terms & conditions apply to any work done for you (the client) by me (Frances Cooper).
- The client is under no obligation to offer me work; neither am I under any obligation to accept work offered by the client.
- I will provide the services mutually agreed, and confirmed in writing, including email.
- The work will be carried out by me, at times and places determined by me and using my own equipment. Work will not be sub-contracted.
- I confirm that I am self-employed and responsible for my own income tax and national insurance contributions and that I will not claim benefits granted to the client’s employees.
- I confirm that I am not registered for VAT.
- Where I have made a substantial contribution to the proofreading of an item of work, I will be entitled to request one free copy of the work.
- I may use the client’s name in my promotional material or on my website.
- All corrections, changes and comments made as part of the service are suggestions. The client can choose to accept or reject any or all suggestions, as s/he sees fit.
- The work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work and the brief supplied by the client at the start of the contract and set out in the Task Agreement or exchange of emails.
- If, on receipt of the project files or documents, or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- Similarly, if during the contract additional tasks are requested by the client, I may renegotiate the fee and/or deadline.
- Any content I create as part of the project will become the copyright of the client, unless otherwise agreed.
- I will do my utmost to provide a high quality service, but I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the work.
- I cannot accept responsibility or be held liable for errors and consequential losses or costs incurred as a result of any errors in relation to the client’s work, whether direct, indirect or otherwise.
Fees and payment
- The client will pay me a fee per hour OR per printed page OR per 1000 words OR a flat fee for the job, as set out in the Task Agreement or exchange of emails.
- Any quote I provide is based on the information provided to me by the client and my assessment of the task required.
- The client will reimburse agreed reasonable expenses incurred in the course of undertaking the work.
- If the project is lengthy, I may invoice periodically for completed stages.
- Unless otherwise agreed, payment will be made within 30 days of the client receiving my invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
- Should the client wish to cancel a contract that has been agreed within one month of the agreed start date I reserve the right to charge 25% of the agreed fee. For cancellation within one week of the agreed start date I reserve the right to charge 50% of the agreed fee. For cancellation after I have started work but am less than half way through, I reserve the right to charge 75% of the agreed fee. For cancellation of a project I am more than half way through, I reserve the right to charge 100% of the agreed fee.
- Both the client and I have the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, both the client and I may keep on record such information as is necessary. Either may view the other’s records to ensure they are relevant and up to date.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the client and its contractors without prior written permission.
- The client agrees that their name may be used in my promotional materials and/or listed on my website and that any feedback or testimonial provided may be similarly used, unless agreed otherwise.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both the client and I submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.
Payment should be made by bank transfer in GBP. Details will be provided on my invoice.
I also accept payment by PayPal but clients should ensure that they pay all fees related to the payment. I can accept a cheque if required (UK banks only) .