Let nothing interfere with the goal of achieving total communicative rapport between reader and writer. David Crystal
David Crystal’s words are at the heart of what an editor does. My services are all about writers achieving that rapport with my undetectable help. They are your words and I have done my job if they read well in your voice and your readers never know I worked with them.
If you are unsure whether you need a copyediting or proofreading service, have a look at this guide. If you still aren’t sure, then get in touch for a chat. In practice, no two jobs are the same and every writer needs something different.
The following are broad descriptions which we can tailor to your needs. I can help with:
- Proofreading – I will correct errors of spelling, punctuation, grammar, consistency and formatting, all in accordance with your brief. I will query odd content or matters needing attention.
- Copyediting – I will correct errors and edit your text to improve the clarity and flow, in accordance with your requirements and preferred style. However, the work and the voice will remain yours.
- Writing – I will provide copy according to your requirements. This service is only available for writing related to my knowledge areas, particularly for wildlife, ecology, nature and countryside topics.
- Fact checking / research – I will undertake fact checking or research using online sources. This service is usually limited to subjects related to my knowledge areas, wildlife, ecology, natural history and countryside but I am happy to discuss your requirements.
- Anglicisation / re-writing
I can proofread on paper using BSI proof correction symbols.
I can work digitally in Microsoft Word using Track Changes, or in PDF using Adobe Acrobat Reader to annotate corrections and suggestions digitally.
If you think I can provide the service you need, contact me by email and provide a brief description of what you need including:
- Your name and contact details
- What sort of project it is (nonfiction book, journal paper)
- Number of words
- What you need to be done
- Your timescales and deadline
I will respond with any queries I have, and give you an initial indication of whether I can help and my availability. I will ask for a sample of one or more chapters or sections of your work that are at least 5% of the total word count. This will enable me to assess the time needed to complete the work and the estimated cost.
I adhere to the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading’s Code of Practice in order to assure you of an excellent service.
I work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends. I may be able to complete work at short notice but I may charge a higher fee for it.
- I will respect your work and take care to keep it secure and confidential.
- I will use all of my skills and experience to deliver high quality work and the results you expect. I cannot guarantee perfection but I will try to achieve it.
- Notwithstanding circumstances beyond my control, I will return your project on time, fully completed. Should circumstances arise that are beyond my control, I will contact you at the earliest moment to discuss a course of action.
Please see my Terms & conditions for further information.