I adhere to the Society for Editors and Proofreaders’ Code of Practice at all times.
I work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends. I may be able to complete work at short notice. I do not charge a higher rate for short notice or ‘out of hours’ work.
I provide three services:
- Proofreading – I will correct errors of spelling, punctuation, grammar, consistency and formatting – all in accordance with your brief. I will query odd content or matters needing attention.
- Proof-editing – In addition to proofreading, I will make minor suggestions to improve the clarity and flow of your work. However, the work and the voice will remain yours.
- Anglicisation/re-writing of non-native written English (UK English only).
I can proofread on paper using BSI proof correction symbols.
I can work in Microsoft Word using Track Changes, or in PDF using Acrobat Reader, to annotate corrections and suggestions digitally.
If your work requires more thorough intervention or rewriting, you may need a different editorial service. If you are uncertain after reading the SfEP guidance, please contact me to discuss your needs. I will do my best to provide the advice you need.
For all projects I will work to the brief and any style sheet provided. If you have any special requirements, or would like something done differently to what is described above, that’s fine. Just let me know what you need and I will let you know whether I can help.
I offer a Short Job service for tasks of up to 1000 words for a set fee. I may be able to complete these in under 24 hours. See Fees & quotes for further information.
How does it work?
- If you think I can provide the service you need, contact me by email and provide a brief description of what you need including:
- Your name and contact details
- What sort of project it is (e.g. fiction manuscript or MSc dissertation)
- Number of words
- What service you require
- Whether BSI proof correction symbols on paper or digital correction (Microsoft Word/PDF) is required
- Your timescales and deadline
- I will respond with any queries I have, and give you an initial indication of whether I can help and my availability. I will ask for a sample of one or more chapters or sections of your work that are at least 5% of the total word count. This will enable me to assess the needs of the job and provide a project-specific quote. I will also be happy to proofread a sample (up to 500 words), so that we can be certain we have the same expectations of the work required.
- I will provide the quote in the form that works best for you – e.g. price per 1000 words or price for the job. If you prefer, I can work to your budget.
- If we decide to work together, we will finalise a timescale and agree a payment schedule, depending on the length of the job. I will issue a Task Agreement setting out the main features. For jobs of up to 10,000 words or at short notice we may agree that exchange of emails is sufficient confirmation. I will book your work into my timetable, as we have agreed.
- On or before the start date, you send me your project file/s. I will undertake the agreed work as scheduled. If anything is not as expected I will contact you immediately to discuss the matter. I will also contact you if I have any queries while work is ongoing, so you will need to be contactable. On longer jobs I will provide an update on progress once a week, or on request.
- When the work is complete, on or before the agreed date, I will return the files to you digitally or on paper, as agreed. I will forward my invoice soon afterwards. Within a month of receiving my completed work, you can raise any queries or issues arising from my work, such as clarification of suggested wording etc., or where my work has not met your expectations. All queries must be submitted together, in one go.
- I will respect your work and take care to keep it secure and confidential.
- I will use all of my skills and experience to deliver high quality work and the results you expect. I cannot guarantee perfection but I will try to achieve it.
- Notwithstanding circumstances beyond my control, I will return your project on time, fully completed. Should circumstances arise that are beyond my control, I will contact you at the earliest moment to discuss a course of action.
Please see my Terms & conditions for further information.
If you are a student, please see my Services for students page for further information.